Buy at Cabela's - Support VSSA

Friday, January 4, 2013

Here's Why the Morning Jolt is One of VSSA's Daily Reads

We all saw the media fall all over West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin making disparaging comments about modern sporting rifles, signaling he may be inclined to consider a new ban on both the rifles and on standard capacity magazines.  But have you seen these comments anywhere shared by National Review's Jim Geraghty in this morning's Morning Jolt?
What you may not have heard was what he said on MetroNews Talkline, a local program back in his home state in West Virginia, a few days later:


"I am open to talking about how do we have a better society with less violence and not blame just the gun owner, because if you blame the gun owner, you're blaming me," the Senator said.

Host Hoppy Kercheval asked Senator Manchin if he will support California Senator Dianne Feinstein's proposed bill to reinstate the ban on assault weapons. That ban first took effect in 1994 and expired in 2004.

"I'm not supporting a ban on anything. I'm supporting a conversation on everything," Senator Manchin said.

"I can't say 'yes' or 'no' to any of the things because all I've asked for, I want the NRA to tell me why we have any weapon you might want. Is there any grounds or any changes or anything they would like to look at? I don't know. I can't even get a conversation to have responsible people at the table to finally come out with a conclusion."
I didn't think so, since none of those media outlets fawning over Manchin shortly after his original comments reported his "walk back" of those comments.

No comments: