Buy at Cabela's - Support VSSA

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Ammo Still Hard to Find

The Associated Press has this story about the continuing shortage of ammo around the nation.

We are working overtime and still can't keep up with the demand, said Al Russo, spokesman for North Carolina-based Remington Arms Company, which makes bullets for rifles, handguns and shotguns. We've had to add a fourth shift and go 24-7. It's a phenomenon that I have not seen before in my 30 years in the business.

The AP reporter also talked to one gun dealer in California that says the worst seems to be over. Maybe because manufacters like Remington are now working around the clock. There are however other reports that support what the California dealer told the AP. This story posted by Sebastian yesterday.

While supplies may be getting back to normal, prices will likely remain high. I shake my head every time I pick up a box of shotgun shells and pay almost twice what I did just a couple of years ago. When the world economy picks back up as it certainly will (because markets go up and come down despite what government does - just to varying degrees depending on how much government interference there is) demand for the metals that go into ammo will again increase. I fear gone forever are the days of a $2.50 box of shotgun shells.

No comments: